ABOUT THIS APP
From food and drinks to cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, millions of products are shipped across international borders each day. Fraud, counterfeiting, and gray market activity grow by the day, and fake products can be extremely difficult to detect without expensive and time-consuming laboratory tests. Until now, brands and consumers have had few options to fight back and verify the authenticity of their purchases at the store or at the point of use. Thinfilm's NFC OpenSense technology now allows hundreds of millions of smartphone users to check the integrity of those purchases, quickly and easily.
This Authenticator app is the official authentication service for NFC OpenSense technology. Simply open the app, then touch and hold your phone's NFC touchpoint (see touchpoint pic) to the NFC OpenSense label on the product you wish to verify. One the label has been read and the product's information has been verified, the app will indicate the authentication result on your phone's screen.
This app requires network connectivity to verify authenticity. Make sure you have an active data connection.
Make sure to turn on your phone's NFC feature. Access this option through the Settings application. For most devices, find the NFC setting in the Wireless & Networks or Connectivity menus. Select "More" if you do not see NFC controls in the main menu listing.
Each model of NFC-enabled phone has a fixed 'touchpoint' location (see touchpoint pic). When reading an NFC OpenSense label with your phone, hold the phone's touchpoint to the center of the NFC label. The phone's touchpoint is fixed, so once you identify it, always use this part of your phone to touch an NFC-enabled item.
- The touchpoint is usually located of the back side of the device, in the center of the back plate.
- As of late 2015, some newer devices have a touchpoint on the back side of the device, toward the top edge of the phone
- For most Samsung phones: the touchpoint is located on the back side of the device, between the middle and the bottom edge
Common supported phones include:
- Samsung Galaxy series, including the Galaxy S4, S5, S6, S6 Edge; Note 3, 4, 5, Edge
- LG G series, including G2, G3, G4, G Flex, G Flex 2, G Vista 2, V10, Escape 2
- Google's Nexus series, including Nexus 4, 5, 5X, 6, 6P, 9, 10
- Huawei Ascend Mate 2, Mate 7, GX1, P8, Honor 6+
- ZTE Nubia X6, Z7, Z7 MAX, Z9 MAX, Axon
- Sony Xperia series, including Z2, Z2 Tablet, Z3, Z3+, T2 Ultra, T3, M2, C3 Dual
- HTC One A9, E8, E9+, M9, mini 2; Desire 610, 626
- Motorola Moto X Play, Moto X Style, Moto X 2014, Droid Turbo, Droid Ultra Mini
- Gionee Elife E7, E8
- BlackBerry Priv